The weekend is finally here! It’s been a busy, busy week, so here’s how I will be relaxing this weekend.
Movies and TV
- House of Cards (Netflix): Given the current political climate, you would think that a show about a corrupt and power-hungry politician is the last thing I would be interested in watching. But this show is so gooooood! I’ve been a fan since the start, but Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright have exceeded all of my expectations with their acting this season. Don’t miss it!
- I’m feeling a bit meh about movies at the moment. Any good recommendations?
Books and Long Form Journalism
Batch: Over 200 Recipes, Tips & Techniques for a Well Preserved Kitchen by Joel MacCharles & Dana Harrison
I bought this book in the dead of winter to give me hope. Now that it’s almost summer, I finally get to cook from it. I love that all the different preserving methods are described at the beginning of the book and that the authors take the time to list the equipment that you will need for each and how much money you will have to invest. The rest of the book is organized by ingredient, meaning that you can stock up on seasonal veggies when you go to the farmers market and then spend the whole weekend preserving the same ingredient in several different ways. This ensures that you will preserve each ingredient just as they achieve peak ripeness. Clever, huh? Here are some of the recipes that I plan to work on as soon as I can get my hands on some fresh produce and supplies: the Bloody Mary with Brine and Pickled Beans, the Charred Pickled Beets, and the Pickled Aioli and Pickled Poached Eggs.
- Halal Chops and Fascist Cupcakes: On Diversity and the Weaponisation of Food by Shakira Hussein: Many of us like to believe that food is somehow apolitical. Hussein’s thought-provoking article shows how different nationalist groups in Australia have been deploying food as a weapon to argue for, among other things, white supremacy. A must-read.
Cocktails Wish List
- It’s getting warm. Do you know what that means? Rosé, rosé, and more rosé! Bon Appétit accurately describes this wine as “summer water,” and I’m going to be sipping on their Rosé-Aperol Spritz this Sunday afternoon.
- Don’t like rosé? I got you covered. A Bar Above has this amazing sounding variation on a Pimm’s Cup called the Tennis Partner. Whether you play tennis or not, I’m sure it will keep you hydrated during those long summer afternoons.
- Lentils get a bad rap for being boring, but I actually love them. This Roasted Beet & Carrot Lentil Salad with Feta, Yogurt and Dill from The Bojon Gourmet will make a believer out of you too.
- Tea in my dessert? Yes, please! This Oolong Tea Crème Brûlée from Honestly Yum combines everything I love about food into one delicious treat.
Full disclosure: this post contains Amazon Associate links.
Have a lovely, fun-filled weekend!