The long weekend is here! Here’s some inspiration to make the most out of it.
Movies and TV
- The Keepers: Netflix’s latest true-crime documentary is fascinating. It attempts to solve the murder of sister Cathy Cesnik uncovering all sorts of dark and uncomfortable secrets along the way. I’m only on episode two, but I’m definitely hooked.
- Hidden Figures: I’ve read wonderful things about this movie but haven’t had the time to watch it yet. It tells the story of a group of female African American mathematicians who made invaluable contributions to NASA’s space program.
Articles and Long Form Journalism
- Food52 has a wonderful article detailing the history of the biggest Indian grocery store in the U.S. owned by the Patel family. A fascinating read if you tend to take the availability of Indian ingredients in the U.S. for granted.
- Did you know that crows are incredibly intelligent? This article from the Seattle Met not only offers insight into their unique rituals and habits, but also reveals that Seattle is the crow-capital of the U.S.
Cocktails Wish List
- Confession: I love to have a cocktail or a glass of wine while I’m making dinner, so this article from Food & Wine just made my day. They offer seven straightforward cocktails to sip on while you wait for dinner to come out of the oven. I personally think that you can never go wrong with an Americano.
- The Final Kiss: this mezcal variation from the One Martini blog sounds like the perfect drink to end a fun evening. Also, their cocktail photography is just gorgeous.
- These brown butter banana chocolate chip bars from Two Peas and Their Pod are calling my name.
- I’ve eaten everything fried, sweet, and fatty in sight while on vacation, so I’m looking forward to going back home and resetting by eating a ton of salads. First on my list: Heather Christo’s Honeycrisp, Daikon, and Cucumber Sesame Salad.
If you need more recipe inspiration for your Memorial Day barbecue, please check my collection of recipes on Pinterest. Have a lovely weekend!