Hooray! The weekend is finally here! Here’s what I’ll be watching, reading, drinking, and cooking this weekend.
Movies and TV
- Wonder Woman: I’m not a huge fan of remakes, but this movie has gotten such great reviews that I can’t wait to see it. Also Gal Gadot is not only gorgeous but also super down to earth and funny (or at least that’s how she comes across in interviews).
- Logan: I’m all about superhero movies this weekend. I actually really like the X-Men series but the last batch of movies have been a little bit disappointing, so I wasn’t expecting to like Logan as much as I did. It’s well written, fun, and well acted. The actress that plays Laura in particular is great. Just keep in mind that it’s extremely violent, so I wouldn’t recommend it for kids.
Articles and Long Form Journalism
- Childless by Choice, My Story by Heartbeet Kitchen: My first recommendation this weekend is both a candid take on choosing not to have children and a fabulous recipe by Amanda from Heartbeet Kitchen. As a child-free woman myself, I know how much courage it takes to write something like this. Unfortunately, a lot of people still react with a lot of hostility when you decide to address this topic publicly. I hope that pieces like this one will encourage a more open, respectful, and honest discussion about choosing a child-free life. Also, her Teff Flour Cardamon Pistachio Cake sounds delicious, and I can’t wait to make it.
- Bob Dylan’s Nobel Lecture: I’ve been a Bob Dylan fan since I was about 15. His songs probably taught me more about writing and poetry than a lot of the books that I had to read in school. I know that his Nobel win was extremely controversial, but it made perfect sense to me: he is and has always been a poet in my eyes. His Nobel Lecture is not only beautifully written, but also makes it clear that his lyrics and music are heavily influenced by literature. A great read if you love his music, literature, and art in general.
Cocktails Wish List
- Peaches are not in season just yet in Eastern Washington, but a girl can dream about peachy cocktails, right? I’ll be impatiently counting the days until I can make these yummy Fresh Peach Gin and Tonics from How Sweet It Is.
- Liquor.com has some unusual cocktail inspiration up on their site this week. Meaty cocktails, anyone? They don’t provide detailed recipes for any of them, but I’m definitely intrigued by the flavor combinations and might try to recreate some of these at home.
- I have never met a curry that I haven’t liked, but I have also never tried Sri Lankan food, so this recipe for Sri Lankan Tomato Fish Curry from Hello My Dumpling immediately caught my eye. It calls for a type of sea bass called barramundi, but I think it would also be quite nice with some fresh snapper.
- I saw these Cherry-Rhubarb Pie Bars from Floating Kitchen on Monday, and I haven’t been able to get them out of my head since then. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we finally get some cherries in this weekend at the farmers market so that I go ahead and make them.
I hope you have a weekend full of delicious seasonal fruit and lazy afternoons!