Happy Saturday, friends! I’ve spent the whole week sightseeing and hanging out with baby goats (long, wonderful story) in San Francisco. It’s been a great trip full of delicious food, but I’m looking forward to heading home and cooking for myself again. Check out what I have collected for your weekend entertainment!
Long Form Journalism
- If you’ve never read any of Sherman Alexie’s books, please go and do so this weekend. He is without a doubt one of America’s best living writers. A good way to familiarize yourself with his work might be to read this wonderful profile by Anne Helen Petersen. It’s an exploration of Alexie’s troubled family life and difficult childhood which inspired his latest work, a biography of his mother.
- My husband sent me this lovely article from The Book of Life titled “The Pleasure of Reading Together in Bed.” As the name implies, it talks about the little pleasures that come with long-term relationships, like being able to sit in a room in silence simply being there with/for each other. It’s a lovely, short read that will make you reflect on the joy that we can get from the simple things in life.
Drinks Wish List
- This week, I’ve decided to feature a couple of non-alcoholic drinks that are perfect for summer. The New York Times has done some of the work for me by exploring the “mocktail” trend in several high-profile restaurants. They feature several recipes to great mocktails at the end of this article.
- Cyd Converse over at The Sweetest Occasion has this wonderful recipe for Homemade Italian Sodas. They seem perfect for a summer barbecue and are so easy to make.
#PopsicleWeek Recipe Roundup
This week was #popsicleweek, the brain child of the talented Billy Green over at Wit & Vinegar. Billy compiles his own list with all the standouts from the week, but here are some of my favorite ones.
- These Chocolate Rosemary Caramel Swirl popsicles from Love Me, Feed Me sound crazy good. I love the addition of the rosemary; it makes them so unique.
- I would have never thought to put tomatoes into anything sweet until I saw this clever recipe for Raspberry-Tomato Yogurt Pops from Dolly and Oatmeal.
- What could possible be better than a chocolate popsicle? A Chocolate Fudge Pop with Brownie Bites. This recipe from Flourishing Foodie is truly a chocolate lover’s dream come true.
- An Aperol Spritz in the form of a popsicle? Yes, please! Kristen over at Bourbon and Honey has turned this classic and refreshing cocktail into the perfect boozy treat for summer.
- Since we are on the topic of boozy popsicles, it would be remiss of me not to include these boozy cherry colada popsicles that are currently on the blog. They are made with coconut milk, rum, and a boozy cherry mixture and taste even better than a classic piña colada.
I hope your weekend is full of popsicles, good food, and lots of love!