I’m excited to share these easy microwave nachos with all of you because it is hands down one of my favorite dishes.
You can have these nachos on the table for game day in just minutes with very little prep work. They also make a delicious, no-fuss lunch or dinner; in fact, they are my go-to recipe when I don’t feel like cooking.
Store-Bought or Homemade Toppings?
I personally believe that when you are making something really simple like these microwave nachos, homemade toppings are the way to go.
Making some of your toppings from scratch will add some extra prep time, but it will also produce nachos that taste better than any you can buy at a restaurant. My two essential toppings for homemade nachos are my own Costa Rican-style refried beans and pico de gallo.
I also topped my nachos with some pepper jack cheese, cubed avocado, thinly sliced green onions, and sour cream.
If you are not the cooking type, the good news is that nowadays grocery stores sell really yummy pre-made pico de gallo, salsa, and guacamole. There’s no shame in taking a shortcut, especially when you are cooking for a large group!
Some Other Shortcuts and Tips
If you don’t feel like making my refried beans from scratch but you hate the taste of canned beans, a good tip is to heat them up in a bit of butter or lard (if you are not serving vegetarians). Either canned refried beans or whole black beans will do for this recipe.
Something important to keep in mind is that these nachos taste great at room temperature, but you shouldn’t let them sit for more than 20-30 minutes or they’ll get soggy. I doubt that they’ll last more than a few seconds after you pull them out of the microwave, but you never know!
Easy Vegetarian Microwave Nachos
- Place a couple of large handfuls of your favorite tortilla chips on large plate or microwave-safe serving platter. Try to spread them out so that they are on a single layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the chips.
- Place large dollops of the refried beans on top of the chips and cheese.
- Pop the plate in the microwave and cook on high for 40-50 seconds or until the cheese has melted.
- Top with the suggested toppings in this order: pico de gallo, avocado, green onions, and dollop of sour cream.
- Serve immediately.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe for a large crowd. I recommend using large plates to serve the nachos rather than a giant platter because they are easier to fit in the microwave. You can also distribute multiple plates over a large table to avoid having everyone congregate around the same plate.
- You could also stack these microwave nachos and make them several layers thick. I would recommend putting some beans and cheese between each layer, microwaving them, and then topping them with the fresh ingredients.
Here are other easy recipes that are perfect for entertaining:
If you like this recipe, please make sure to pin it, share it on social media, or email it to your friends. Don’t be shy! People are always grateful for some cooking inspiration
Also, if you have any questions or just want to let me know that you liked the recipe, please leave a comment below. Hearing from other adventurous home cooks always makes my day!