Happy Saturday, everyone! I’ve decided to revamp The Boozy Oyster’s Weekend Fun Lists to include more recipes from other bloggers in addition to the usual fun stuff. For this first installment, I’ve decided to bring you some of the best and most delicious ways to use sweet potatoes from around the web. If you read last week’s post, you know that I love sweet potatoes. They are packed full of vitamins and nutrients, last forever in the fridge, and are endlessly versatile.
Today’s sweet potato meals roundup highlights just how versatile this humble tuber can be by giving you ideas on how to turn it into a complete breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I’ve also included some dessert recipes because who doesn’t love dessert?
But first, some fun weekend projects, interesting things to read, and cocktail ideas.
- I’m pepper-obsessed this year. Sweet peppers, hot peppers, small, big, I can’t stop buying them. This weekend, I’m hoping to figure out some ways to preserve them so that I can enjoy them when winter comes. A friend suggested roasting hatch chiles and freezing them, which I totally intend to because I love them. I’m also thinking about pickling some jalapeños and using the rest to make a big batch of peach chutney.
- Fall is just around the corner (at least I hope it is), and every year I love to decorate my porch. Last year, I made a really easy and beautiful burlap wreath, and this year I’m hoping to up my pumpkin-decorating game. If you are as excited about fall as I am, I invite you to check out my “Fall and Halloween Decorations” board on Pinterest. It has tons of ideas on how to prepare your home for the best season of the year.
- I recently posted this article from Psychology Today to my Facebook page, but I wanted to include it here as well because it’s an important read. It argues that there is a strong connection between the consumption of refined carbohydrates and Alzheimer’s disease, which is a real bummer for all of us who love bread. As usual, I would advise you take the article with a grain of salt and aim for a balanced diet rather than cutting out all carbs.
- As much as I want fall to just hurry up and get here, the reality is that temperatures in Eastern WA are still in the nineties. I’ve decided to stop complaining about it and take the opportunity to drink more Campari cocktails instead. Campari is an Italian aperitivo used to make all sorts of light and refreshing cocktails including Negronis and Americanos. Serious Eats put together a list of 16 cocktails that you can make with Campari, and all of them sound delicious.
- Since we still have watermelons, why not make some watermelon cocktails? This frozen watermelon Bellini couldn’t be simpler: you just need watermelon, some Prosecco, and mint or basil to garnish.
And without further ado… here are 24 delicious ways to use sweet potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
- Sweet potatoes in biscuits? Why not? These ones from The View from Great Island get their fluff and sweetness from sweet potatoes and are better enjoyed with delicious country gravy.
- These sweet potato celeriac hash browns from Tasting Page look like the perfect way to start the day.
- These flourless sweet potato blueberry muffins from Athletic Avocado are vegan, paleo, and gluten free! They are also made with almond butter, which I bet makes them extra dense and delicious.
- I love baked sweet potatoes, but never thought to eat them for breakfast. These sweet potatoes from Denise over at Le Petit Eats are topped with Greek yogurt (yum!), pepitas, and other goodies to turn them into a healthy and filling breakfast.
- These sweet potato pancakes topped with marshmallow sauce from The Worktop seem like the perfect way to indulge yourself on a lazy Sunday morning.
- Never thought about using sweet potatoes to make pancakes? How about waffles? These healthy sweet potato waffles from Maria Ushakova are easy to make and go great with all sorts of savory toppings.
- This sweet potato and chicken sausage breakfast skillet from Taste and See checks every box for me. It gets some spice from the sausage, some richness from the cheese and eggs, and some sweetness from the sweet potatoes.
- I love putting sweet potatoes in salads because they add a delicious hint of sweetness. This roasted sweet potatoes and greens salad by Lemon Blossoms also features a quince dressing. Yum!
- Sweet potato soup is one of my favorite things in the world. The sweet potato makes it creamy and luscious without having to add any extra milk or cream, which is great for those of us who can’t do dairy. This roasted carrot and sweet potato soup by The Heritage Cook is easy to make and looks like the perfect thing for fall.
- This beet and sweet potato tartare from Cilantro & Citronella is intended to be an appetizer, but I think it would be lovely as a light, refreshing lunch. A big bonus is that you can roast the beets and steam the sweet potatoes in advance and just assemble the whole thing in a flash for lunch.
- I’m always looking for great ways to use leftover roast chicken, and this chicken and sweet potato farro salad from Sidewalk Shoes looks like a winner. Again, most of the components can be prepared in advance making it the perfect easy-to-pack lunch to take to work.
- Quesadillas are one of my go-to lunches and these sweet potato and gouda ones from Simple Seasonal look insanely delicious. In addition to the gouda and sweet potatoes, they feature caramelized onions, roasted garlic, and a balsamic reduction.
- These citrus black beans with sweet potato and quinoa from Our Salty Kitchen are a great variation on black beans and rice and another easy lunch to make ahead of time.
- This healthy cottage pie from The Cook Report features bold, Moroccan flavors and looks like the perfect dinner for a chilly fall evening.
- This BBQ corn jalapeño sweet potato pizza from Vegan Richa sounds like an easy and delicious dinner for those last days of summer.
- I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had nachos for dinner. Joy over at Build Your Bite not only tops hers with delicious refried beans but also with sweet potatoes, which I think it’s genius. Please make a big batch of her 30-minute sweet potato refried bean nachos tonight and invite me over for dinner. Pretty please?
- I couldn’t do a recipe roundup of any kind without including my favorite food: tacos. These Southwest chipotle sweet potato tacos from Three Olives Branch look like the perfect meal to have pretty much every night of the week.
- This Mediterranean chicken stew with sweet potatoes, beans, and olives from Innocent Delight sounds like a warm hug in a bowl.
- Since we are on the topic of comforting meals, how about some curry? It’s probably one of my favorite things to make on Sunday evening because then I get to eat the leftovers throughout the week. This Thai sweet potato coconut red curry from Salt & Lavender is definitely going on permanent rotation at my place.
- On busy weeknights, there’s nothing that I appreciate more than an easy, one-pot meal, which is why this one-pot za’atar pork tenderloin, sweet potato, and cauliflower from My Kitchen Love caught my eye. Not only is it a “just-throw-everything-together-on-a-baking-sheet” kind of meal, but it also features one of my favorite Middle Eastern spice blends: za’atar.
- This oatmeal cookie marshmallow sweet potato casserole from Life’s Little Sweets made my mouth water. In addition to a delicious oatmeal crust, it also features pecans, cranberries, and raisins.
- We can’t have a sweet potato recipe roundoup without sweet potato pie. The cool thing about this one from Buy This, Cook That is that it’s actually made with a sweet potato crust. I’m totally serving it with the recommended whiskey whipped cream, BTW.
- This sweet potato skillet cake from Moore or Less Cooking has a broiled coconut and pecan icing. Need I say moore?
- Finally, I wanted to share with you this showstopper of a tart from Bunsen Burner Bakery. The whipped maple ricotta that you put at the bottom sounds delicious, but it’s also one of the prettiest tarts I’ve ever seen.